1. Look out → To be watchful or careful; take care (quan sát xung quanh một cách cẩn thận, cẩn trọng)
Ví dụ: If you don't look out, you may fall on the ice. We looked out for each other on the trip.
2. Look up → To search for and find, as in a reference book (tra cứu, tìm kiếm trong sách vở, sách tham khảo, từ điển)
Ví dụ: I didn’t know what ‘loquacious’ meant and had to look it up in a dictionary.
3. Look into → to inquire into; investigate (điều tra, xem xét)
Ví dụ: The police looked into the disturbance.
4. Look over → to examine someone or something (chấm bài, kiểm tra cái gì, đánh giá một ai đó)
Ví dụ: I think you had better have the doctor look you over.
- Please look over these papers.
5. Look through → to gaze through something (nhìn xuyên qua cái gì đó)
Ví dụ: Look through the window at what the neighbors are doing.
- Look through the binoculars and see if you can get a better view.
6. Look after → to take care of (trông nom ai, cái gì)
Ví dụ: I need someone dependable to look after the children while I'm at work.
7. Look away → to turn one's gaze away from someone (hướng cái nhìn ra chỗ khác hoặc khỏi ai đó)
Ví dụ: She looked away from him, not wishing her eyes to give away her true feelings.
8. Look for → to search for; seek (tìm kiếm)
Ví dụ: Looking for my gloves.
→ To expect: hy vọng, kỳ vọng
Ví dụ: Look for a change of weather in March.
9. Look around → to walk around a room, building, or place and see what is there (nhìn quanh, đi quanh phòng để nhìn)
Ví dụ: Do you want to look around the school?
10. Look down on → regard (someone) with a feeling of superiority, with contempt. (nhìn ai, cái gì với sự coi khinh, đặt bản thân cao hơn ai đó)
Ví dụ: The new neighbor looks down on us because our house is very modest.